Getting Rid of Those Pesky Ants
Posted On 06/20/2019
I enjoy all that the summer season brings… fresh vegetables and herbs from the garden, homemade ice cream and summer evenings on the porch watching the fireflies dance. However, one thing I don’t enjoy is when pesky ants invade our home and outbuildings. Since we don’t use any chemicals anywhere here on the farm, I always turn to this tried and true method of getting rid of them.
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Borax
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- cotton ball
- Mix the Borax and sugar together in a jar or covered plastic container until well blended. (You can purchase Borax in the laundry detergent aisle of your local grocery store. )
- Add the warm water and mix thoroughly until the powder is completely dissolved.
- Dip a few cotton balls into the liquid mixture until they’re saturated. Squeeze out excess moisture just enough so they’re not dripping.
- Place the cotton balls on window and door casings in the rooms where you see the ants. Try to place them close to the point of entry, if possible.
- Cover the container of Borax/sugar mixture to save for future use. Be sure to label the container.
- Within several hours of placing the cotton balls, you’ll notice the ants will have a feeding frenzy. After feeding for awhile, they almost appear to be drunk. However, the next day, there will be very few ants on the cotton balls. This is because they eventually return to their nest, bringing home the mixture to feed the other ants. This is a good thing, as soon the entire nest will be wiped out!
It is wise to repeat the above process daily until the ants are gone, which is usually within 2-3 days.
It is also a good idea to seal up the point of entry, so the ants can no longer get into the house.
Have a safe and happy summer!